The following is taken from David’s interview with Jim Earley in 10 Super Coaches.
What training, experience and qualifications did you have when you started coaching?
Well, firstly I had some solid academic qualifications. Aside from those – although I had no specific coaching training – by the time I came to coaching professionally, I had:
- Taken one college class and one honors program on interviewing.
- Taken classes on interpersonal communication and non-verbal communication.
- Read every book David McClelland had written on motivation as well as others.
- Taken one year-long program devoted to the nature of listening.
- Spent five years developing an internal style of coaching as a swimming coach.
- Developed an approach to problem solving.